Thursday, July 10, 2008

Putting everything into perspective

With the recent spate of suicide killings taking place in Cape Town, there's nothing better than spending time with loved ones to bring things into perspective.

My kids have been on holiday for the past 2 weeks at Rabia's place. Rabia has 3 girls all in the same age group as my kids. Her eldest one Saadieyah celebrated her birthday on Tuesday, and we were invited to attend the gadaat they were giving. Saadieyah's wish was that I bake her a chocolate mousse cake in the shape of the numerals 12 and so her wish was granted.

When we arrived at Rabia's home, I was greeted with lots of hugs and kisses!! My kids missed me so much, so much though that they didn't want to come home yet!! LOL!! My youngest sister was with us and we normally end up chatting away catching up on everything. We are a close-knit family I'd like to think. This led me again to think of the suicide killings taking place in and around Cape Town. According to news reports, the families were well known to their neighbours and were 'quiet people'.

I looked around at everyone trying to take in as much detail as possible. Just grateful that I was sitting there chatting to everyone, making memories, and not in a morgue somewhere because a family member decided that it was time for me to die!! WOW!! That sure does put things into perspective doesn't it!!
I shook that thought from my mind and went to make salaah with Raihaana, asking Allah to protect my family and most importantly my children!! Afterwards Raihaana told me about her visit to the dentist!! She had me hooting with laughter when she told me about her antics!! Apparently the dentist was a very good looking young man, probably about her age. She was as nervous as could be, thinking to herself, how this gorgeous man could be scratching in her mouth!! LMAO!! By the time she was done explaining my stomach muscles were sore and I had to catch my breath!! We finally made our way downstairs where they had started serving boeber and eatables. There was so much cake and savouries to nibble on, you'd swear there was a wedding taking place!! Nonetheless everything was delicious!!

Take advantage of each dawning day and make the most of it, say what you need to say to your loved ones to assure them that you love them. You might not get a second chance to do so!!

No comments: