Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Those winter love handles....

The winter months in Cape Town are mostly cold and wet. I suppose that's why I have a tendency to want to eat more!! I love to make good, wholesome stews and soups but what would a wintry evening be without a hot pudding for dessert??!!!

That is my weakness certainly!! So every evening without fail, after supper I serve something warm and sweet. Oh so yummy!! The only downside is, that I tend to gain a few kilograms and my exercise regime flies out the window!! LOL!!

After preparing supper last night I mentioned to no one in particular that I was going to make some Malva pudding for dessert. The reaction from my kids ranged from glee to all out exuberance, with Aqeedah giving me a huge hug and a sloppy kiss!! It is one of their favorite desserts. So today I'll share the recipe with you. Malva pudding is fairly easy to make and the ingredients are simple because you'll always have them in your cupboard.



You will need:


1 cup (250ml) sugar

1 tblsp butter

4 tblsp jam (preserve)

1 large egg

1 cup (250ml) flour

1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

1 cup (250ml) milk

2 tsp vinegar

2 tsp vanilla essence


Sauce:


125ml cream or milk

4 tblsp sugar

20g butter

2 tblsp water, if using cream


The method: Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius or 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a bowl, beat sugar, butter, jam and egg until light and thick. Sift together flour and bicarbonate of soda into a separate bowl. Then mix milk, vinegar and vanilla essence in another bowl. Add flour to egg mixture and fold in. Slowly add the liquid and beat until blended through. Grease an oven proof dish and pour mixture into it, cover with aluminium foil so that it doesn't burn. Allow it to bake for 45-50 minutes until golden brown. Combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a pot and heat till it boils. When you have removed the pudding from the oven, slowly pour sauce over. Serve warm with dollops of fresh cream or pouring custard.


Now, there's a certain way to eating your malva pudding. Find a secluded spot if you can (I normally eat mine when the kids have retired to bed), remove your shoes and make yourself comfortable. As you scoop a piece with your spoon and put it in your mouth, close your eyes and DON'T chew. Allow the cream to fill your senses and push your tongue up against your palate. The pudding is so soft and caramelly it will just melt in your mouth!! MMMMMMM, savour the moment before you scoop off another piece, continue like this until you have finished your portion. Pure bliss I tell you!!

Here's to more wintry nights filled with yummy, hot puddings. I'm sure the love handles won't protest too much!! LOL!!

1 comment:

Shaheema said...

oh couz... you certainly did have my mouth-watering there! can't wait to have more of your yummy pudding some day!

keep it up... you the family-baker of course!

love ya,
shaheema