Monday, March 16, 2009

Updated: Origin of the word Kiffight

It seems I have caused some confusion with regards to this post. My laziness to elaborate on the subject has now come back to bite me on the butt!! To dispel any misunderstandings I'm going to add more information. Please forgive me for my silly mistake. And thank you once again to AH for pointing this out to me.


Over the weekend a friend of mine mentioned that they were going to attend a kiffight in the area. This conversation immediately led me to think about our lesson during Sheikh Faaik Gamieldin's Usul-lul-Fiqh classes.

Usul-lul-Fiqh deals with the understanding of the study of the extraction of Shariah law from the Quraan & the Sunnah of the Prophet (S.A.W). The different Ahkaam (Hukoom-singular) are the following:


Fard - Compulsory
Sunnah - actions of the Prophet (S.A.W)
Mubah - Permissible
Haraam - Forbidden
Makrooh - Disallowed / abominable


The word 'kiffight' was coined from the Hukoom, Fardul Kiffaayah. Which is an act that is obligatory on the congregation (Jama'a.) Though a commandment on every one, it is sufficient if some do it, but if it is not done by anyone knowingly, then all are guilty of its violation. When a person passes away it is obligatory for the people in the community to attend to the burial of the said person. Attending a Nikaah also falls under this Hukoom. And by this I mean attending the actual wedding ceremony, not the wedding reception or waleemah.


So the older generation would use the word 'kiffight' instead of Janaazah, which is the correct term to use. Just thought that this tidbit of information would be of use to everyone.

Wallahu-a'lam

No comments: