Thursday, February 19, 2009

Guilty as charged......

Yes, I haven’t been very punctual about updating my blog lately and believe me, it shows. Writing down my thoughts has always been an outlet for me and since I haven’t been doing just that, my head feels kinda muddled!! Or maybe I should blame it on all the time I have been spending on Facebook?? :)



Or, perhaps it’s the new developments taking place in my life at this moment?? Whatever the reasons, I should get down to it, shouldn't I?? So, here goes……..



On Tuesday evening while attending a school meeting, I was quite surprised by the opening address given by the Principal. Mr. Daniels is quite a blabber mouth and once he gets started there’s no stopping him, hehehe!! Anyhow, after greeting the parents he goes on & mentions some verses he had come across concerning children. What he read made me want to jump up from my seat & shout “I just read that book a couple of months ago!!” And as he read the extract I felt the tears spring from behind my lids & course down my cheeks.



I’d like to share what he read to the parents there that evening because this specific author made such a huge impact on me as a person. I actually read the book over and over again, gleaning a new perspective with each read. The extract comes from a book by Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet. This man’s gift for poetry is immeasurable!! His writing is simple yet touching, his ability to turn mundane everyday experiences into sheer art just boggles the mind!! And most importantly, he exposes our humanity.



Yeah, Yeah, I’ll shut up already & get down to those specific verses, hehehe!!



The Prophet

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons & daughters of Life’s longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit,
not even in your dreams.

You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backwards nor tarries with yesterday.
You are the bows from which your children as living
arrows are sent forth.

The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and
He bends you with His might that his arrows may go swift
and far.

Let your bending in the archer’s hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies, so He loves also
The bow that is stable.


Need I say more????



I will endeavor to post other extracts concerning love, marriage, laws & everything else Mr. Gibran touches on, in the hopes that it would inspire you as much as his writing has inspired me.

2 comments:

Shaheema said...

Beautiful stuff couz!

I love this author and was lucky to be exposed to him at a time when i needed much direction and answers in my life. He does speak in a manner exuding both our strengths and weaknesses at the same time!

Impeccable writing!!

I love it!

Shahieda said...

Shukran babes!!

Yes, looks we both read it at the times when we needed it the most!!

Impeccable writing indeed!!